Thursday, February 26, 2009

veg out


Hi Bloggie friends. Work is hard and my brain is fried. I’m dreaming of warm summer mornings at the farmers market and the smelly of dirt and grass from the bags full of yums I just bought. I know, I know, I owe you a NYC trip report. Laters. I promise. Until then, enjoy my dreamy top ten list of things I love about the Cherry Street Farmers Market.

10. No list! I take $20 and buy whatever looks good. I can always use onions, peppers, yellow squash. Might treat myself to something unusual and work these things in to my weekly menu. My favorite is fresh lettuce covered in soil or the hot summer months when peaches and berries are perfection.

9. Opening weekend. The first weekend in April. There is nary a string bean available. Mostly potted plants, fresh cut flowers and some herbs. Only half the vendors are there. Have to settle on some fresh bread, a coffee then stopping a Reasors on the way home.

8. Acting like I fit in. Bring my own (reusable! renewable!) bag. Sniff things. Pick things up. Make small talk with the vendors.

7. The two or three Asian families that have booths. The parents don’t speak English and the small children expertly make change. They always have tiny Japanese eggplants, crazy looking peppers, lemongrass and the best (huge!) bunches of basil.

6. The “other booths” like the lady who makes soap and lotion. The spice people with all their crazy combos of seasonings and rubs. The organic meat truck. The catering lady with her delish looking flatbreads and baked goods. The Farrell Family bakery peeps!

5. Going alone. I try to wake up and be there by 8:30 a.m. Otherwise all the hot items (basil, tomatoes, blueberries) are gone easily by 9:00 a.m. I like parking down by Coffee House on Cherry street and enjoy a hot drink while I window shop my way to the market. It is especially nice after a morning rain.

4. Going with a friend. Share a snack from one of the vendors. Catch up on gossip. Make plans for the evening. How’s the family? A great way to catch up.

3. Seeing the regulars. I wouldn’t consider myself one. By I love seeing how many customers and vendors recognize each other. There are several other farmers markets these days. But Cherry Street is certainly the oldest and highest attended. Vendors remember people’s pets, kids, jobs, vacations they took, favorite produce. Heart. Maybe I’ll be one this year.

2. The newbies. I was one. You can always tell they need to get the feel for how things work. And there is a method. The newbies always buy at least a bunch of fresh flowers. Maybe a muffin or scone to ease in. Soon they’re greeting vendors and new friends.

1. And the number one thing I love about the famers market is the anticipation! From the day it closes in October until the day it opens in April I pine for the warm morning walks and knowing I’m not only buying food people took true care in producing, but that they did it in my community. Cheese but truth.

Hope you’ll join me in a few weeks! You should probably tell me you favorite thing about the famers market.

3 comments:

  1. I love Farmer's Markets!!! The one in Fayetteville is amazing on Saturday mornings-you must come this year. Kris and I go every Saturday. I would like to hit up the Cherry Street one with you as well. Farmer's Markets are the bestest and I'm craving one right about NOW. Plus, Findlay Market in Cinci is huge and wonderful, we hit that one up when you come in April. You won't believe the stuff they have. Heart, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of wet dirt. The huge ugly tomatoes. Blueberries (we watched AB make a blueberry pie lattice-style again last night. I can't wait for pie season). Corn at 6 for a buck (or else I don't buy). Needing to wash my arugula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about our farmer's markets is that they're open all year round.

    ReplyDelete