Of course you need a lot of the basic utensils, spatulas, whisks, etc. But my current top “must” is
1) A good box grater. Something sturdy with four sides and different sized holes for different cheeses or even to zest or grate spices if needed. I have a flimsy a-frame one that collapses on me. I enjoy grating cheese fresh from blocks and save a few bucks not buying the pre-shredded.
2) At least one good chef knife. I have a massive block of knives and use the same two or three over and over. I chop garlic, onions, or herbs almost every night.
3) A blender. A multi-purpose dream. Smoothies, frozen drinks and the norm but also good for smoothing soups or combining things when your lazy.
4) A food processor is something I lived too long without. Started with a little 1-cupper. Bad news. Get the big one. But no need to spend more than $30 or so. Really better than the blender for hot things like soups. I used this week to chop nuts, make breadcrumbs and pulverize cheerios. Again, the lazy chopper’s friend.
5) A good cutting board can’t be overlooked. And like knives can be very personal. I like about 1 in thick, heavy wood. Mines about a foot square. Some people like massive ones. Some like plastic. Others like those color coded ones for veg, meat, and other. It is important not to cross contaminate. But wood helps with that and is easy to clean. There are a million types.
6) Also, don’t underestimate nesting bowls. Not everyone has them and I can’t live without them. Easy to store. Mine came in about 8 sizes. Great for pre-measuring out ingredients, mix in, heat food in the microwave or cover and store in the fridge. They’re everywhere and cheap.
7) A big deep pasta pot with a built in strainer and steam basket was a wonderful Christmas gift. I use it all the time. Soup, pasta, steam veggies.
8) A toaster oven. I mocked Mike saying “really? The oven broils. Can’t we just get a plain toaster?” he won. I use it daily.
9) Lame, but research. Cook books aren’t always the answer to a happy cook or happy kitchen. I find endless inspiration for magazines that cover seasonal or regional foods and web sites like Chow.com.
10) And also intangible, Imagination. It also helps me look at items I have--say, a tea cup—and come up with ways to use it in different ways. Use it to serve a dessert, a dip, put toothpicks in it, attach a fun label and use it as a place card.
You should probably tell me what YOU can’t live without in the kitchen. It’s very personal, no?

1). Cutting Boards - I go for wood as well, ideally at least 16 inches across, 12 inches top to bottom. I need my space.
ReplyDelete2). Bowls - I need more prep bowls. Always.
3). my chef's knives.
4). The food processor. I agree. It's perfect.
5). Cast-iron Cookware. Preferably Le Creuset (swoon) or Lodge. Basically, there's nothing I regularly make that I couldn't if I only had a dutch oven and a cast-iron skillet. And I mean that.
6. KitchenAid Mixer. Cannot. Live. Without.
7. Microplane/mini-grater. For cheese. And other nommy stuff.
8. Cookiesheets. Never underestimate the power of a sheet pan. You can bake cakes in it. Cookies on it. Pizza. Calzones. Bread. ANYTHING!!!
9. ....except a chicken. For that.... Casserole dish/roasting pan.
i love the kitchenaid. but it's just a perk. i had only a hand mixer for WAY too long. i NEED a microplane. agree with cookie sheets. had to bump it off. currently in need of 2 round cake pans! thanks doll!
ReplyDeleteYou are so sweet, but trust me, I'm NOT good at oh so many things, cooking included!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the comments, I set my settings up where I moderate the comments, mainly so I could see when someone comments!
I love your list and don't have a lot of those things. What brand of knife do you have?? That's something that I really want to get! I'm going to print this out and save it and take it with me to the kitchen store! Thanks!
What an interesting post! I've got a couple little faves of mine that I'll add: the rubber thing you use to open jars (I'm a hardcore wimp), my wooden paddle shaped spoon (I use it esp when sauteeing stuff...how do you spell sautee in the present progressive form???), my smaller plastic cutting board (fits in the dishwasher well and doesn't take up much counter space when using...b likes his big wooden one), and my larger than life skillet with the clear lid so I can watch things bubble :)
ReplyDeleteThat turned out much longer than I had planned on! :)
i need a bigger skillet for sure! thanks for adding, b!
ReplyDeletebcookie, my knive cam in a big block. it isn't a nice brand. i would pick something fairly wide, like 1.5 - 2 inches (blade) and slighly heavier than you thinik it should be. AND something you can sharpen. my block came with a sharpener. did i see you're going to ikea!? they should have plenty of good choices.