It's hard to believe today was our -26 week- checkup! Yes, you heard me. We're basically in third trimesterland, folks.
The funny thing is I've been saying that I'm 26 weeks along for about four weeks now....a LITTLE too excited. It just feels like April will be here any day...and my tum gets bigger and bigger. I remember I once had feet....I hope they're still down there.
All my vitals looked great today and the baby's heartbeat was perfect. In two weeks we'll do another ultrasound (get to see her, yeah!) and some standard 28 week tests like checking for diabetes and a few others. No reason to think everything shouldn't be a-ok. I know it sounds silly just to tell you "good appointment," but EVERY good appointment is SUCH a relief. Even my doctor today said, "You're at 26 weeks! This is great! The baby is viable and anything that happens after now will have such a good chance at a healthy outcome." It was nice of her to say that because I've been thinking it. Had to get past 25 weeks. And we did it! And I feel so good. Seriously, the best back rub ever.....the best tasting food...the best hug....nothing feels like this kind of good.
As many of you can tell, I've been a bit more chatty about the pregnancy on Facebook (oops) because of the confidence and health I feel. It feels nice, NORMAL, to be excited. To be okay with people giving me baby gifts. Making plans. Thinking about names and nurseries. I also mean this will all sensitivity.....I have such brave, beautiful friends and family members who are struggling with trying to get pregnant or health issues and I in no way mean to be insensitive in my joy. In fact, I hope my tentative and new found excitedness is in some way a little glimmer of something good for them to see. You CAN go through hard times, be miserable, be mad, no, ANGRY, at your circumstances. And you can come back and have a perfectly normal situation that in no way crosses out the past experiences...but shows you just how strong, brave, loved and thankful you can be. I hope that made sense....
The most exciting news of the day was that my doctor suggested I plan to deliver at about 38 weeks. The little girl will be to term and fully cooked and this will help avoid any complications that could pop up due to my health history. I, for one, am great with this. I know many people have thoughts on inducing labor. But in a weird way, it's something I feel a little more familiar with. They did it last time and I know what the process is like and what those contractions feel like. What I don't know is if it puts stress on the baby---I guess not too much or they wouldn't suggest it? I like the idea of so much attention. I like the idea of no 2 a.m. rush to the hospital and not wondering if it's time to go or not. I know this may seem to take some of the "magic" out of childbirth....but ya know what? I like to plan. I like to have a bit of control and know what to expect. And I think this will take HUGE relief off Mike who does not care for stressful situations or surprises. What is more stressful or surprise-ful than your wife's water breaking at Lowes or something? :)
So, we're looking at this kiddo coming sometime the week of April 5. WOW. I know that's only two weeks earlier but it seems SO SOON. Also in the middle of about three work projects. Also the same week as our anniversary. Also still trying to find daycare and fit in childbirth classes and, ya know, decorating a room for this kid and naming it. But I couldn't be more excited.
Thank you, friends, for your sweet words and thoughts.
Besos.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am so glad that you are able to experience the JOY of this pregnancy... being where you once were, I can only dream of feeling the joy in pregnancy again some day. i feel like I've lost my pregnancy innocence, in a way... so to hear you say that you can indeed be joyful again is really good to hear! So happy things are going well and that the weeks are flying by for you! i'm sending continued prayers that all is well and you will continue to be able to delight in this precious time you have with your babygirl before she is even born!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm so glad your visit was another great report. I can't imagine your enormous relief and pure joy you are experiencing. And you are inspirational and brave and strong. If you need any help painting a room or need any company shopping for fun baby stuff, give me a call!
ReplyDeleteDawn
SOOO happy! You are one amazing lady and should relish in this happy and healthy pregnancy. Congrats times a trillion.
ReplyDelete