Thursday, January 29, 2009

suck it up

i used to LOVE jane magazine. then it went under. three months in to my 2 year subscription.

domino magazine. are you familiar? it's a home magazine. like lucky, for homes. well it's gone now. march will be it's last issue. luckily my cheap ass only paid for the year subscription at $12 and not the 2 or 3 year for like $15.

from the blogs:
"Domino magazine and its website will cease publication, Charles Townsend, president and CEO of Condé Nast, announced today. The announcement comes on the heels of naming Bill Wackermann as "publishing director" of the shelter magazine.

That was a bust. Domino, which offers advice on decorating, do-it-yourself projects, gardening, and party planning, will publish its final issue in March.

Take a magazine built around peddling products, couple that with a deepening recession in which people are less likely to purchase things, and you've got a recipe for failure. "This decision to cease publication of the magazine and its website is driven entirely by the economy," Townsend said. "Although readership and advertising response was encouraging in the early years, we have concluded that this economic market will not support our business expectations."

Domino was launched in April 2005. The magazine's current rate-base is 850,000."

and my february lucky, same publisher, never came this month. maybe they're next. see if i ever get a subscription to a magazine again. i'll just stand in borders reading them for free until they ALL go under. bitchez.

you should probably suck it up. what's gone now that you miss, like whoa? crystal pepsi? boo berry cereal? no fear gear?

7 comments:

  1. Diet Vanilla Coke. I only find it once in a while... but only in cans. Also, Will & Grace, Avonlea, Full House and Gilmore Girls. Those aren't economy-related, but I sure do miss them! Crystal's Pizza, Discovery Zones or Leaps&Bounds - the kids would LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! leaps and bounds. i couldn't remember the name of that the other day. genius! and i also loved me some avonlea. dawn- move back and hang out with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black Cherry Vanilla diet coke got me through my senior thesis and the insane course load and working at Starbucks and playing rugby and being a lit-mag-officer and carrying on a long distance relationship and....ohyeah...remembering to sleep and/or eat.

    I miss it. It is gone. Mope.

    Also, a limited-edition ice cream by Edy's called Goo-Goo Cluster. It is my favorite ice cream ever. I think I ate 3 gallons of it during 1 month when I realized it was L.E. Gone from the face of the planet. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world pre 911, Seventeen magazine, lightning bugs (they all died out here!), cartoons on Saturday morning only, polaroid pics, and those cheesy after school specials!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fit of Saucony tennis shoes and American Eagle Favorite fit jeans. They discontinued both, and although I stockpiled them, my supplies are all becoming dirty/holey. Also Avonlea as well and a vampire show from the mid-90's called Kindred. Also upsetting: The general feeling I get whenever I turn to the WB-I used to be in love with all the guys on there. Now, they all look like small children and I feel old and decrepit and dirty for watching. BUT MOST OF ALL-THE ORIGINAL IRON CHEF ON FOOD NETWORK EVERY NIGHT AT 10PM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, Leaps & Bounds is a good call! I loved that place! I'm racking my brain trying to think of things I miss!

    OH! Remember that store Units that was in the mall back in the day? That place was mighty rad! That's all my widdle brain can muster up right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. EGM magazine, recently deceased.

    My red Pumas.

    Optimism.

    ReplyDelete