Saturday, March 7, 2009

mark your place

is it bad that i am thoroughly enjoying twilight? just started it last night. my brother bought it for me, along with the second book as a christmas gift. i'll admit, i'm not much of a reader. and i've had sooooo many thoughts in my head about this series. it's for teenagers. it's for lonely old women. i don't want to get wrapped up in a series i have to keep up with. i never saw the movie.

and omg. how can it NOT be written for teenagers. it's told in the first person by a teenage girl. it's like 8th grade reading level and then random SAT words thrown in like dubious and sedulous. lame. but i can. not. stop. reading.

thoughts?

also, you should probably tell me what you are reading. let's make recommendations to one another. the last book i read was revolutionary road which was superbly written (in the 50's) and is even better if you have not seen the movie.

also, i'm twittering. and spent 30 minutes today reading other people's posts. lame. but i think twitter would be good for some of you reluctant bloggers (cough, joey, cough, harper). just wish texting charges didn't apply. as i'm trying to blog less, i plan to twitter more from online. i get the talking about me accomplished without the long rambling post....see? look how books turned in to me.

heart you. homemade pizza and movies with the hubs tonight. he (adorably) picked out (the original) italian job and the french connection from netflix. we're getting in our movie classics and cheese quota for the weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to start Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy tonight. I loved All the Pretty Horses but hated The Road and No Country for Old Men.

    Oh and my life is totally not entertaining enough to merit twittering. I was doing okay blogging via Plinky prompts but like every other blog...it fizzled. Cool fact: Jason Shellen, CEO of Plinky, bought his key man life policy from me last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. Do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with SheezKrafty -- Try Lamb by Moore, because it's definitely funny and it definitely doesn't require any backstory.

    Also - Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl. The Sharper your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flynn. I love them both. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The themes of Twilight really bother me. The main character basically has to subvert herself to the needs of a man for love. I find that distressing. No matter how dreamy a vampire he may be.

    I most recently read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz. It was very, very good.

    I'm currently reading Gatsby. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twilight... yes. I did it. I completely enjoyed it. And enjoyed making fun of it's lameness about just as much! It's the book series I love to hate. It's so terrible. So terribly good. I, too, am disturbed by Bella- who so thoroughly changes herself for a "man" and has to be rescued at every turn... but it sure didn't stop me from reading. Or seeing the (awful) movie.

    I am currently reading "Marley & Me" because I so loved the movie... yet, for once, the book is not quite living up to the movie so far! For some light-hearted fun chick-lit reading, I recommend the books by Emily Giffin.

    (And what do you mean "trying to blog less"?!?! no blogging less. nope. not allowed.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Twilight...couldn't put it down. It's like brain candy-no nutritional value and it rots your teeth but you can't stop eating it. I love Stephen King-start with The Stand. It's amazing. I also love books by Amy Tan-try The Joy Luck Club. J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading the Twilight books was what I did over Christmas break. I read all four in the course of 7 days...and loved every minute! I was completely ADDICTED! The author has a really unique gift at tying everything together (if that makes sense) and making you empathize with the characters and really understand them internally.

    Anyway, I can't help you with the books as I am stuck (until December) reading books for school only! Boring! However, if you want some fluff, I like Emily Geffin (you would love her stuff). Since I don't really have time to read a whole book, I'm really stuck on poetry lately. I can read it in 10 minutes and them simmer on it. Once I open a book, I have to finish it, but with poetry you can take one small morsel at a time. I love Edna St. Vincent Millay and Whitman, as trite as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete