Saturday, January 24, 2009

tell me what you want / wish

i want to be told what to read. loan me a book. tell me what it meant to you. a list. a top 100 list. of books to read before you die. i kept a print out. a copy of a copy times 100. of the books a student should read before college. i was given at an aptitude testing facility. about 150 books, poems, plays. short stories. to this day i've likely read 15 on the list. and that was because i was in ap english in high school. i threw the list away in 2003. and stopped reading. except for the worn copy of mere christianity i pick up each year. read two chapters and stop again. thanks to my boss, i'm reading a book. that is now a movie. and had the film not been made. i would have never known it existed. man.

tell me what to watch. a movie. something old. "classic." i want to watch films. made when cinema was an art form. when there was a new wave. because there was an old wave. when film. tangible. was edited by hand. i want to be in yevtushenko's class. which i slept through. and made a c. i made a lot of c's in my film classes. made a b in kubrick&hitchcock. i want nights of cabria. i want the bicycle thieves. i want to watch jules et jim in your apartment. i want to see those films you dropped off at the library. i wish i wouldn't have made fun of manhattan. and 2001. i vow to utilize my netflix subscription.

i want to tell you how much you mean to him. how much you mean to her. to them. i want you to know how special you are. and how your hopes will come true.


you should probably tell me. what you want. what you wish.

8 comments:

  1. I just want to throw this in for no more reason than because I love it. I use google for everything and when I made myself a follower of your blog it automatically put your blog in my rss reader. I love it, Leah I read you like a piece of my normal news.

    I want direction. That's all. I want to know what direction to take in life so that I have some meaning or purpose. I want my epitaph to include more than just "devoted husband and father."

    As for books. Go with fluff, don't kill yourself with contemporary or classic literature. I read as much lit as I can but I always break it up with fluff. I finished the first part of Bolano's "2666" and then picked up and read Gould's, "Jumper", yes what the horrendous movie was based on, in 3 days. It was probably the best book I've read in the last year. I loved every page of it. Read for fun, not just to be well read.

    The only piece of classic cinema I can recommend would be Bullitt. It's my favorite old movie. McQueen was just so timelessly cool. Or Cool Hand Luke, for the same reason subbing Paul Newman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joey. THANK YOU. that's all. oh, and come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could play my guitar better. I wish the cafe was already open. I wish sometimes that we were already hitched, sometimes I don't wish that at all.

    Wishes are funny things.
    I adore your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were more/better. More than a dreamer. Better as a person.

    Read The Great Gatsby again. I want to not be the only one I know who loves it. Read a Haruki Murakami book. Any of them. Norwegian Wood is a good one.

    Watch Harold and Maude. Chelsea (remember her?) showed me that one. It kind of made that whole situation worthwhile. Watch CQ again. It is about that romance. It never gets old. Watch old French movies. Any of them. 400 Blows. Rififi. A hundred others.

    I wish I knew what happened to the person I used to be, the one I now despise for his naïvete, the one who would have taken my advice and watched these movies and read these books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I knew what college to transgfer to, and how I will pay for it when I get there. I wish that I could shake the nasty feelings I get in my stomach when I see the faces of people I consider to be poison. But mostly, I wish I could write something half as interesting as you on my page, but I'll read yours instead because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it loves you back. take care of you. this college thing sounds amazing and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joh, the wishes you listed have a future tense. interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a house. A place of our own where we can stretch out without overlapping. A place for our things, where we can use the many many wedding gifts that have yet to be opened. A place to call "ours", to call "home". I wish a lot of things...

    As for the books - my most favorites of late are "The Time Traveler's Wife" - amazing, sweet story of love that surpasses time travel. And "Eat Pray Love" - have you read it already? I agree with Joey about fluff, though, too. My recommended fluff (I have devoured her 4 books since Christmas and can't wait for the 5th to be released) are by Emily Giffin. Start with "Something Borrowed". I've seen these books a hundred times in the bookstores and rolled my eyes at the chick-lit-fluffiness of them... had I known I would love them so much, I would have read them forever ago!

    And I suck with all movies, especially classics... so I can't competently recommend anything. I'd listen to everyone else who commented! :)

    ReplyDelete