Monday, November 23, 2009

the psycho hostess

Hi gang.

As I checked my email this morning and got my THIRD invitation to a holiday party on December 8, it made me realize it’s that time when all of us are invited to get togethers or throwing them ourselves. There is so much to consider when attending or hosting such an event. Isn’t there? Sometimes I think it’s just me. Read THIS ARTICLE and form your own thoughts. It has really put a bee in my bonnet.

EDIT---someone (cough, husband, cough) thought my blog was too rude. So I've boiled it down to this:


So here is where I need your help. Several questions about being a good host---I’m wondering what YOU do in these instances.

THE question: When people ask you very politely “Can I bring anything?” what is your typical reply? How can I be a little more easy going about this? WHAT WOULD GP DO!?

Food timing: Let’s take the for instance of a big holiday party. I try to have my food spread out and ready at the time I say the party will start. Inevitably, a handful of guests show up on the dot. And for some reason these guests tend to literally sit around the food table and dig in---some not bothering to get a plate of food, just grazing from one item to the next. When the “late-ies” show up an hour later my spread is down to crumbs. Is it best to put out food in stages? Make back up platters? Do you run in to this problem? Why am I so obsessive!?

Familiar or new dishes: I get all excited planning a party and want to make all these yums I’ve read about on my favorite blogs and magazines. However, what if that salmon dip is a flop? Those cheesecake bites overdone? Is it better to prepare things for your guests you know are tried and true or use it as a chance to try some new dishes? Let’s be honest, I’m probably NOT going to try them all out before the big day. Who has the time / money / calorie allotment for that?

Okay, so now that you hate me and are paranoid to ever come over to my house….what are some of your other BEST entertaining tips? Questions of your own? Am I missing the mark on these? Seriously, I love the feedback even if it is “Yes, Leah, you are a crazy mean hostess.”

Besos.

2 comments:

  1. Leah, as you already know I don't have huge issues just saying it as is. An easy solution to the first question is a simple Yes or No. If you would like guests to bring something either pick a theme for the food ( finger foods, dips, etc.), or be specific- if they are asking they most likely would like/or don't mind bringing something!! I would actually appreciate a straight answer, cuts out the guessing!!

    As for the timing of the food. You could always serve small amounts as guests show up! But that would be a lot of work and you would have to devote all your attention to the flow of guests and amount of food. I say stages and limit the options so there isn't a lot of different things to pick from. Maybe veggies, fruit, and dips first, then the cold snacks, and the the warm Yum Yums!

    I do the same thing you do, everything I host/am invited to an event I get excited and go on the hunt for the perfect recipe! It's fun to try new things but there is a certain amount of anxiety that goes with preparing a new dish a few hours before it is to be served! And you know the saying Oldie but a goodie. I say do both! If it's not a stressful event then maybe you can alot some of your nerves to a new recipe; and if you have a lot going on then stick to something simple that you know! An overwhelmed hostess is never cute!

    Maybe I'm crazy too! I suppose it's all up to personal preference!
    Hope you Holiday events go off with a bang!!!

    Lala

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Question #1 - Typically it depends on who is offering to bring things. I would suggest asking people to bring mixers, or drinks for the drinkers.... I agree with the first commenter that being specific is the key. Saying, "Sure, bring an appetizer" is a risk. Saying, "We could totally use some ice, could you bring a bag?" is a better way to make people feel involved while keeping tabs on the situation.
    Question #2 - The best parties I have ever been to have been at Jesse's friends' Manny and Anya's place. They do appetizers in waves. A few out when people start showing up, but more to come as the party gets going. Especially a few hours in, if there are drinks, people will be getting drunker and needing something to eat.
    Question #3 - I would suggest working in 1 or 2 new dishes, depending on how many you're planning to serve. Keep it simple otherwise, so you can spend more time tying a bow around Bowser's neck and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete